It has been over a month since I first saw my girlfriend take a small Hobby Lobby piper cub and run it into various forms of wooded plant life. To my amazement, the plane (and my girlfriend’s willingness to pick up another radio control) had somehow survived the first horrible crash and every crash since. Sure, the little cub has about a full two ounce glue bottle fused into it now, and every once in a while I remind her that nobody was “really” harmed in the crash, but it is still her that gets out there each time and puts herself behind those set of controls, regardless.
It wasn’t until the last time I went out with her that I saw a phenomenal difference in skill. Apparently, she had gone out with her Dad once without me and he had done some troubleshooting with the trim adjustments. When I saw the difference it made, I was astounded. She seemed to have COMPLETE control. How relieving that must be for her after all her flights before when we would tell her to “turn left… no, NO… Your other LEFT!” She was ecstatic when she saw herself really doing what she was attempting to do. We even tried some spot landing by marking a circle in the dew on the grass. She did excellent. That same day we let her fly the Wing Dragon as well and she demonstrated even better control. The larger wing surface gave her a bit more stability against the small gusts that would have otherwise given the other plane a bit of hassle. I am so excited to get her the J5 that is going to be released from Hobby Lobby soon. It should be the perfect plane to give her a decent transition into aileron flight!
Signup for Email Alerts!
Help Finding Something?
Recent Posts – “New Stuff”
What Hobbyists Have To Say
- RC Today Show 019: Return of the Slackers | RC Today Show on How I almost cut my thumb off – Safety Notice – Warning: Graphic Photos
- Hobby Lobby Team on How I almost cut my thumb off – Safety Notice – Warning: Graphic Photos
- vintauri on How I almost cut my thumb off – Safety Notice – Warning: Graphic Photos
- aerwalt on To catch a plane on fire!
- S. Lamb on How to Drop Kick a Helicopter
Categories Available To You
- Heli Haven (R/C Helicopters) (9)
- R/C Models (50)
- Wake Zone (R/C Boats) (1)
- Wild Wheels (R/C Cars) (10)
- Wing World (R/C Model Airplanes) (140)
Archives – “Old Stuff”